• FailSafe-ERA

The Returning Citizen

We all have many titles: mother, father, director, secretary, etc. So do individuals affected by incarceration. I’ve heard people refer to them as ex-inmates, ex-cons, and formerly incarcerated. At FAILSAFE-ERA, when they return to our community, we call them returning citizens. We believe that once they have completed their sentences and return to our communities they deserve a chance to become rehabilitated/reformed citizens of our community.

“Naming is so important in our culture…Naming make us small. It reduces us to the smallest component. Naming ties us to our closest reference point causing us to fail to see ourselves as a part of a bigger universe” says Juanita Smith, Author of More Than a Thimble.

Just like you have the right to remain silent and the right to an attorney, you have the right to be considered a citizen if you are a native or naturalized citizen of the United States. You may lose certain privileges that come along with being a citizen but those rights can be restored. You never lose your citizenship. If you are a returning citizen and would like to have your rights restored, you can either contact our office for assistance or follow the instructions at the link below.



It's a really simple process. I recall the pure excitement from my son when he learned of his rights being restored. It was my birthday gift to him. Knowing that he can vote and even run for President, which is something he said he may consider in the future, opened his eyes to greater responsibilities and possibilities. He has a voice in the "bigger universe".



 4701 Market Street, Suite H, Fredericksburg, VA 22408   Phone: 540-479-3021

  • FailSafe-Era YouTube
  • FailSafe-Era Instagram
  • FailSafe-Era Twitter
  • FailSafe-Era Facebook

site design/development petite taway

Copyright © 2020FailSafe-ERA


We assist returning citizens and families affected by incarceration, by providing the resources and tools to help these families rebuild, succeed and thrive during their transition back into our communities.

View Our Accessibility Statement, Here.  The privacy and security of your personal information is very important to us so we want to assure you that your information will be properly managed and protected by us at all times. Please read this privacy notice carefully as it explains how we may collect and use your personal data.  ​You can read the Privacy Notice Here. Read Our Terms of Service, Here.

Center of Hope        Newsletter         Press Releases         Contact